For better or worse, the things you could do years ago no longer fly. For example, travel with me to 1969. That was when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, the Mets won the World Series, and Miss Salerno chased Joe Sergio around our second grade classroom with a ChapStick. Miss Salerno, who was just recently out of college, once had my father come down to inspect my messy desk. That’s another story, but the only thing she found more annoying than my desk was Joe Sergio’s chapped lips. Finally, one day she couldn’t stand it anymore. Miss Salerno took matters into her own hands and set out to apply the waxy balm herself. He took evasive action. A chase ensued.
If a teacher did that today she’d be yanked out of the classroom and put on paid administrative leave. She might even end up on the news. The student? He’d be sent to the school psychologist. Part of me longs for the days when teachers had more authority in the classroom, but I guess the ChapStick thing was a little over the edge. Even worse than the time she tried to cut Steve Donnelly’s hair.
- With God as my witness, I thought they said "Lester Nessman." @WAMCNews masslive.com/news/index.ssf… 6 days ago
- Running Log: You know it’s early when you’re hunting for a sock that’s already on your foot. 6 days ago
- Vandenburgh should try doing his @talk1300 show for one week without reading shit out of the Times Union. 1 week ago
- Albany Capital Center. https://t.co/9GRaOusr9P 1 week ago
- Dogs having a meeting. That is all. https://t.co/ZugcJ5Nglt 1 week ago
- There is not a single Republican primary race in all of Albany County. albanycounty.com/Libraries/Boar… 1 week ago
- Hurray for ex-presidents! 1 week ago
- How long before cable news gets one of these reporters killed? @MSNBC https://t.co/VjZfdlie5F 1 week ago
- I love you guys, but seriously: it's time to replace that background. Looking bad. twitter.com/WNYT/status/90… 2 weeks ago
- When did being a creep ruin someone's political career? twitter.com/danieltweaver1… 2 weeks ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
under the hood